- Date: Friday, May 24, 2019
- Time: Lower Division: 8:30am-10:30am / Upper Division: 11:00am-12:30pm
- Place: Q300 Lower Division and Upper Division
- Description: Q300 is hosting the 1st annual STEAM Fair. This celebration will showcase classroom projects that will get everyone excited about learning and experimenting STEAM (which is an abbreviation for Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math). All Q300 families are invited.
- Date: Sunday May 5th, 2019
- Time: 3:00pm-6:00pm
- Place: Central in Astoria (20-30 Steinway st. Astoria, NY 11105)
- Date: Sunday, April 7th, 2019
- Time: 11:00am-12:30pm
- Place: Queens Historical Society (14335 37th Avenue, Flushing, NY 11354)
- Price: $10 per child
- Description: Appropriate for grades 6-8. Ever wondered what makes all the lights in your house turn on? Here at the Queens Historical Society we are looking for bright minds to join us in an exciting family workshop to help us illuminate the past and shine bright into the future. Electricity is all around us and powers almost everything we use in our daily lives, from our cellphones to our televisions. But what makes a light bulb turn on and how does electricity work? Not only are you going to learn the answers to these magnetic questions, but we are going to help you build your very own electrifying circuit! Join us for Circuits and Currents: Its Electric!
- URL: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/circuits-and-currents-its-electric-tickets-56371194761
- Date: Monday through Thursday of Monday, July 8 - Thursday, August 15, 2019
- Time: 8:30am - 4:00pm
- Place: DOE School Site located in 11102 zip code will be announced once confirmed.
- URL: http://seriousfunnyc.org/summermusical/
- Description: Free Summer Musical Theater Camp
Children produce a Musical from Auditions to Opening Night!
Each production is a one-act musical. All participants will audition and be cast in one production only. This approach allows Serious Fun to provide more lead and featured roles for the children, creating an in-depth and concentrated experience.
What do children do?
Work with industry professionals to rehearse & perform the script, songs & dances, create the costumes & props, build the sets, run the lights & sound, and manage the front of house for a children's musical.
Who can attend?
Children ages 8 through 13 years old.
- Date: Sunday, May 5, 2019
- Time: 9:15am-
- Place: Q300 Lower Devision (28-37 29th street, Queens, NY, 111002)
- Cost: $35-$45
- URL: https://www.nychesskids.com/q300-tournaments
- Date: Sunday, June 9, 2019
- Time: 11:00am- (Pregame activities/performances begin at 11:00am. Game begins at 1:10pm)
- Place: Citi Field (123-01 Roosevelt Ave, Queens, NY 11368)
- Cost: $23 per person (All family members need an individual ticket)
- Date: Saturday, April 6 - Sunday, April 7, 2019
- Time: Varies
- Place: Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School (5 W 93rd St, New York, NY 10025)
- URL: https://chessgirls.win
- Date: Friday, April 5, 2019
- Time: 5:30pm - 7:00pm
- Place: Q300 Lower Division Gym (28-37 29th st, Astoria, NY 11102)
- Date: Friday, February 22, 2019 to Sunday, March 17, 2019
- Place: Museum of the Moving Image (36-01 35th Ave, Queens) and many other locations
- Price: $14 – General Admission
- All ages - Moominvalley - tickets were just added to the post popular film of the 2019 Festival!
- Ages 5-10 - Short Films One - brimming with stories full of growth and transformation. (Some Q300 2nd grade families will be attending these over the weekend)
- Ages 7+ - Friends & Neighbors, Netherlands - Cinekid, The Netherland’s premiere film festival for children, comes ashore to share their best films.
- Ages 7+ Ailo: A Lapland Odyssey - Follow a young reindeer’s first year at close range, filled with moments of puzzlement, wonder, struggle, and delight
- Ages 8-14 - Short Films Two - for young audiences growing in experiences and ideas.
- Ages 8+ - The Falcons - An Icelandic soccer team encounters their biggest challenge yet! Director in attendance for Q&A!
- Ages 8+ - Double Trouble - Heist-meets-art-history caper where nothing and no one is quite what it seems (Poland).
- Ages 9+ - Dilili in Paris - Travel to the bustling cafe culture of Paris in the Belle Epoque with Dilili
- Ages 10+ - Girls’ POV Short Films - A peek into what it is like to be a girl, all over the world
- Ages 10+ - Boy Beyond Boundaries - Short films that are redefine how boys can feel, think, and be.
- Ages 10+ - Raoul Taburin - Proving that even the biggest champ harbors a little imposter syndrome, Raoul Taburin shows that weaknesses can be strengths when we learn to roll with them together.
- Ages 12+ - Short Films Three - Short films covering a wide range of topics, themes and film styles.
- Practice schedule: 2 Soccer Practices per week
- Pricing: week training program is $200 (2 practices per week/each practice is 1 hour)
- Ages: Boys and Girls 5-14 years
- Enrollment period: Until March 31st, 2019
- Place: Murray Playground (45th Ave and 21st St., Long Island City 11101)
Notice of General Membership Meeting, PTA Board and SLT Expedited Elections, and Call for Candidates
The PTA will hold its General Membership Meeting on Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 6:30pm in the upper division campus auditorium at 31-51 21st Street, Long Island City, NY 11106. The agenda will include the election of all Board positions of the PTA and of one (1) parent position of the School Leadership Team (“SLT”).
Call For PTA Board And SLT Parent Member Candidates
A. The PTA calls for candidates to fill positions on the PTA Board
B. The SLT calls for candidates to fill 1 parent member SLT positions
If you are interested in running for any Board positions or for the SLT parent member positions, please contact the Nominations Committee at email@example.com, by May 10, 2019. Please note that nominations will also be taken from the floor during the meeting.
For more information, please read the official call for candidates document in your children's backpack or e-mail.Keep on reading this post...
We are looking for volunteers to serve on the Elections Committee to help identify next year's parent leadership at Q300 and administer the election of the Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) board members and School Leadership Team (SLT) parent member. The election will be held at the PTA general membership meeting on Thursday, May 30, 2019 at the upper division campus.
The Committee's responsibilities include canvassing the community for eligible candidates, preparing materials related to the election (including bios, notices, and ballots) and running the election. We need 3 to 5 Committee members. Committee members must be a parent. Please note that a person who is running for office or is employed at Q300 are not eligible to serve on the Nominations Committee.
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in serving on the Nominations Committee.Keep on reading this post...
Keep on reading this post...
The 5th Annual Q300 PTA Stepping Into Summer Dance Party & Silent Auction
DJ, DANCING, FOOD & DRINK!
Early Bird Tickets available until April 5th, $25 for adults, $15 for kids
Regular Tickets available until May 4th, $30 for adults, $18 for kids
Day of event at door (if not sold out), $32 for adults, $20 for kids
Click here for more information.Keep on reading this post...
Teacher Appreciation Week (Monday, May 6 - Friday, May 10) is coming up and we will be celebrating the week of May 6th! One of the things we would like to do is send notes of appreciation to our teachers and staff and then convert this into a giant poster - one for each campus. This is where we need your help!
We are collecting notes for all members of the Q300 staff through his google form. https://forms.gle/7VpGEhgMvib1R38w9
You can fill this out with your child (or have them fill it out on their own - depending on age obviously). We have made it easy for you and have created a drop down box for all teachers and staff (including cluster and specials teachers, administrators, secretaries, parent coordinator, paraprofessionals, TAs, etc..). You can fill out the form multiple times if there are several folks that your child wants to thanks!
Please fill out the form(s) by April 29, 2019 (the absolute latest) so we can then create and print the poster.Keep on reading this post...
The following information about the summer & extra-curricular programs was shared by Jenny Lando, Q300 Parent Coordinator.
Queens Historical Society
Please come out to participate in Q300's last chess tournament of the school year. Whether this is your first or you've been to many before, it is bound to be fun for everyone! There will be rated and unrated sections and children playing in all levels. If you don't want to play, no problem! Come and cheer on your fellow Q300 friends! But if you do want to play, register here (https://nychesskids.wufoo.com/forms/z7zsn451t21t6a/)Keep on reading this post...
PS 17 has invited Q300 (K-8) to partake in a special Mets Outing with them. For $23 a person, you will get tickets in the promenade section, access to the family activities at 11 am, an opportunity for both schools to put on a performance on stage during this family activity time, a free giveaway at the door, and a chance for children (12 and under) to run the bases following the game.
Ticket Orders and payment (cash or check) must be received by Wednesday, May 1, 2019. Click here for the registration form.
What your ticket includes:
- Pregame activities (games, bounce house, music)
- Performance by PS17Q and Q300 students
- Promotional giveaway at the door
- A seat in the Promenade level
- Opportunity for kids to run the bases after the game
Rain date information will follow regular Mets rain date procedure (they do not have specific dates assigned ahead of time for rain days, so we would be informed at the time if game is rained out).Keep on reading this post...
If you live in Council-member Constantinides' District 22 in Queens, you can vote for a joint Q300 project (with other local schools) that has been selected for the ballot: replacing some water fountains in highly trafficked areas with refillable water stations. See the full list of projects and voting sites here (https://council.nyc.gov/costa-constantinides/pb/8/) Voting takes place from Saturday, March 30, 2019 to Sunday, April 7, 2019. You can go to a delegated site to vote this year or vote online at pbnyc.org/vote (if you are not in District 22, you can vote for projects in your own district if they participate).
Fours years ago, Q300 teamed up with IS 126 and PS 166 to present Park 126 on the ballot. Park 126 is the renovation of the IS 126 school yard... and it won! Please participate in this process if you can! Let’s do this! For questions about our projects contact: email@example.com.Keep on reading this post...
Just sharing an opportunity for an upcoming Girls Chess Tournament. The 3rd annual New York State Girls Chess Championship is taking place on Saturday and Sunday, April 6 and 7. Depending on the section, this would be a 1 or 2 day tournament. Seven Q300 girls are registered for this year's tournament (representing grades 1, 2, 4 and 5). In last year's tournament, Q300 tied for 1st place as a team with the Dalton School!
If there are girls interested in participating this year, the link is below.
NY STATE GIRLS CHAMPIONSHIPS - April 6-7 (Columbia Grammar)
Here's the info: https://chessgirls.win/
Please feel free to email Q300Chess@googlegroups.com with any questions about the NY State Girls Championships.Keep on reading this post...
Please join us for a fun and fitness-filled evening at the PS 17 campus on Friday, April 5, 2019 from 5:30-7:00pm.
We will be co-sponsoring our 4th annual Zumba-thon with the PS 17 PTA in the PS 17 gymnasium (28-37 29th St, Astoria, NY 11102) to raise money for enrichment programs in both schools. This event was such a blast last year that we are excited to do it again. We jointly raised over $4000 - which was split between both schools.
Click here for more info.Keep on reading this post...
The FINAL WEEKEND of the NY International Children’s Film Festival is approaching! This is your last chance to get tickets and raise money for our Q300 PTA. Thank you to those who have already purchased tickets.
View the schedule for the final weekend at https://nyicff.org/festival/2019-program/.
Here are film selections for each age group:
To buy tickets AND raise money for our school PTA, simply:
Go to http://nyicff.org/tickets/ and select our school (Q300 30th Ave School) from the “Select My School/School Partner” Menu towards the top (IMPORTANT)
Our PTA earns $3 for each ticket you purchase. ***Fundraising will not apply to purchases made with a discount code or with group discounts.***Keep on reading this post...
Please fill out the school survey! You can do so online by looking up your survey code with your child's name, birthday and school. This is an important opportunity to share your thoughts on the school. It's an opportunity to share our glows and grows of the school.
Our goal of Q300 is to achieve a 100% parent participation rate. The more surveys completed, the more data we will have to continue improving our school. If you need assistance, please contact Jenny Lando, parent coordinator, for more information or assistance.
The survey is due on Wednesday, April 3, 2019.Keep on reading this post...
The Long Island City Youth Soccer Academy is offering a five week program with 50% of the program fee going to the PTA. The $200 program, includes 2 - 1 hour classes over five weeks (10 Classes Total). More information can be had by contacting the program directly.
The aim of the Long Island City Youth Soccer Academy is to give players a platform to have fun and learn from the beautiful game of soccer. Our goal is to develop players at all level of play by building and improving skills, confidence and teamwork.
Do you love to eat good food? Tasty Mediterranean treats? And also love to help raise funds for enrichment? Well, have we got the deal for you! From Saturday, March 2 through Sunday, March 10, simply go to Cim Cim Restaurant on Ditmars, order your food, present this attached coupon, and 20% of your check goes back to the PTA! Cim Cim is located on 33-08 Ditmars Blvd. in Astoria. Check out their website: www.cimcimkitchen.com. Their reviews on yelp are off the charts good too!
Also, don’t forget to stop by Bonjour Crepes and Wine for delicious sweet and savory crepes, waffles, coffee, wine and more during the Lower Division Parent Teacher Conference (on Thursday, March 14, 2019). You can bring the printed coupon or show it on your phone when you purchase. Or you can just point out to the many community fundraiser coupons plastered all over Bonjour Crepes and Wine when you make your purchase. A whopping 25% of your purchase will go back to the PTA!
Finally, not really local, but hey... the internet is everywhere!
Spring Tea Collection Fundraiser
Starting on Monday, March 4 through Monday, March 11, will be our Spring Tea Collection fundraiser.
Use our code SDS19Q300PTA and you'll get 15% off your order + free shipping and 15% of your order will be donated to Q300 PTA. You can check out what's available at teaschooldays.com! (Remember—for the discount and fundraiser to work, you must shop through teaschooldays.com and not the regular Tea Collection site.)Keep on reading this post...
General PTA Meeting
Teacher Appreciation Breakfast
Atom Smasher Robotic Team
Field Trip to the Met
Math in Action
100th Day of School
100th Day of School
Visiting Henry Matisse
Matilda on Broadway
Nature Field Trip
A fun night at Q300
Imagination and Creativity
It's all about
Architecture Project Celebration