This information was shared by one of the Q300 PTA parents. Some free sports-related summer programs for kids (and some for adults) that might be of interest to Q300 families:
- Free bike riding lessons for kids (and adults) with Bike New York: https://www.bike.nyc/education/programs/
- Free swim lessons with NYC Parks for kids (and adults), registration starts Mon, June 10: https://www.nycgovparks.org/reg/learn-to-swim
- Free basketball clinics and league for kids with Steady Buckets: http://www.steadybuckets.org
- Free golf classes for kids, registration starts Thurs, June 6 (There is also a golf center in Brooklyn in addition to the above in Corona, Queens): https://cityparksfoundation.org/junior-golf-center-annex-queens/
- Free Adventure Course on Sundays at Alley Pond Park (preregistration required for July and August), kids age 8 and older and adults: https://www.nycgovparks.org/programs/rangers/adventure-course
- Free tennis lessons for kids (weekdays): https://www.nyjtl.org/programs/free-tennis/
Reminder that pre-registration for Serious Fun afterschool for 2019-2020 at PS17Q/Q300 has already started at http://seriousfunnyc.org and will end Friday, June 14, 2019. There is a discount ($50 registration fee and $150 program tuition off) for families pre-registering during this period.
Please note that there are some exciting new classes being offered next year. This includes Full STEAM Ahead one-hour premium classes on Fridays, with one semester of Snapology’s engineering program and one semester of Launch Math and Science Center’s exciting science-based classes. There is a minimum of 10 kids required for each grade bracket (2 grade brackets total) or else the class will be cancelled. Here is a full list of what is offered and when at PS17/Q300: https://seriousfunnyc.asapconnected.com/#CourseIndex
NYChessKids (http://nychesskids.com/) is going to offer its after school programs on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday at Lower Division, and Tuesday and Wednesday at Upper Division. The program consists of a mandatory chess session and other optional activities such as arts, yoga, math, coding, critical thinking, debate, and robotics. See The NYCHessKids’ Q300 after school registration page (https://www.nychesskids.com/q300) or our Q300PTA website (https://www.q300pta.net/resources/after-school/) for more information.