- What is the Direct Appeal?
The Direct Appeal is an effective way to raise money directly from Q300 families, friends, and colleagues. In 2015-2016, 75% of the total amount that the PTA raised came from the Direct Appeal. And we anticipate a similar ratio this school year.
- Why is it important to get 100% family participation?
We strive for 100% family participation in the Direct Appeal because many potential PTA funders consider family participation a key factor in deciding whether to give grants. Last year, over 78% of Q300 families donated to the Direct Appeal. By giving to the Direct Appeal – at whatever level is right for your family – you show funders that we have an active, engaged, and committed community.
- What will the Direct Appeal funds be used for?
Nearly 100% of the funds raised will go directly to resources that will enrich your child’s learning experience at Q300. These resources are not provided by the NYC Department of Education (DOE). The Direct Appeal funds many resources, including:
- Enrichment programs taught by groups such as the Alvin Ailey Dance Theater; Art House Astoria; Brooklyn Conservatory of Music; and Center for Architecture; and
- one teaching assistant for each K-2nd grade class; and one teaching assistant for the 3rd grade.
- Enrichment programs taught by groups such as the Alvin Ailey Dance Theater; Art House Astoria; Brooklyn Conservatory of Music;
- Class sets of 30 Chromebooks; laptop carts; library books; Lego robotic kits; microscopes; gym equipment and storage bins; Model UN materials; and art installation materials; and
- Support school trips and the inaugural 8th grade graduation.
- Reimbursement of up to $500 per teacher for wish list items for classroom supplies and activities;
- Family need-based financial aid (based on availability) for trips and other activities; and
- Paying for or supplementing community-building events such as Welcome Breakfast for Incoming Families, Costume Party, International Potluck, and Stepping into Summer Auction and Dance party.
- How is the PTA budget determined?
In the Spring semester, the PTA identifies the needs of each grade in consultation with Q300 administration, teachers, and families. It also conducts a parent budget survey. Once the PTA budget is created, the PTA budget is voted on by the PTA’s general membership at its June meeting. It is amended from time to time. For a copy of our PTA budget, please submit your request to the Q300 Facebook page.
- How much should my family contribute or raise?
The PTA hopes to raise a total of $275,000, which represents the entire 2016-2017 PTA budget and a carry-over amount for the 2017-2018 PTA budget.
- For kindergarten through 3rd grades, which will have teaching assistants, we suggest that you give or raise $1,500 per student ($150 per month for 10 months) to help meet the target amount.
- For middle school grades, which will not have teaching assistants, we suggest that you give or raise $1,000 per student ($100 per month for 10 months) to help meet the target amount.
- Of course, you may donate more or less than the suggested amount – please give what you can afford. During our 2015-2016 Direct Appeal, families donated a range of amounts.
- Can my family contribute in installments?
The paper and online contribution forms provide an option for you to arrange for scheduled contributions based on your family budget. An example is a 10-month installment plan to coincide with the school year.
- Why will some funds raised this school year be carried over to the next school year?
The PTA must ensure that there are available funds for next year, so that the school can hit the ground running on the first day of school. This year, funds were carried over from last year. We anticipate doing the same for next year.
- Why should I contribute, given that Q300 is a public school?
Nearly 100% of the Direct Appeal funds raised will go directly to programs that benefit our children. The PTA has sought to fill in school funding gaps, augment the curriculum, and pay for resources not provided by the DOE. The funding gaps are due, in part, to the following: (a) Q300 is not fully funded as a K through 8th grade school, as it is still building our capacity by adding grades each year; and (b) Q300 does not receive additional funding for being a city-wide gifted and talented school and does not receive Title I funding.
- How can I donate?
Make a one-time donation by check or credit card. Send the completed contribution form and check, if applicable, in your child’s communications folder or by mail to:
Q300 PTA. 28-37 29th Street, Astoria, NY 11102. Checks are payable to: Q300 PARENT-TEACHER ASSOCIATION, INC. For one-time donations, check is preferred, as the PTA incurs fees on credit card payments.
Donate online by credit card, PayPal account, or other methods online through https://www.q300pta.net/da/. You can set up recurring donations via credit card, PayPal, or bank transfer. For bank transfers, please contact email@example.com.
- How can I fund raise and think creatively about my contribution to the Direct Appeal?
In the past, Q300 families have sent an email or letter to friends and families with a copy of the direct appeal documents and some have organized lemonade stands and stoop sales to raise funds in the community.
- Can I participate in my corporate matching program?
The PTA may be eligible for your employer’s corporate matching program. Please provide us with the necessary forms from your employer.
- Are donations tax-deductible?
Yes. The PTA (EIN: 47-2258209) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Your charitable contribution is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
Direct Appeal Frequently Asked Questions
Last Updated on