How do I become a member of the PTA
The following individuals are automatically PTA members: (a) birth parents, adoptive parents, step-parents, legally appointed guardians, foster parents, “persons in a parental relation” as defined by the Department of Education and designated persons having a relationship to a child or children currently attending Q300; and (b) all eligible Q300 teachers and instructional full-time staff members, with the exception of the Principal and supervisors.
How do I become involved in the PTA or volunteer during school?
You can attend monthly meetings, volunteer at our events, serve on a committee or seek election to the PTA’s executive board. You can also volunteer at the school, including serving as a breakfast, lunch, and recess monitor, and assisting in classrooms. Please fill out the following survey if you are interested in volunteering complete the Q300 Volunteer Survey or email email@example.com.
What are the PTA committees on which I can volunteer?
- Membership Co. encourages parent and staff outreach and participation.
- Fundraising Co. implements fundraising, such as the Direct Appeal, auction, and grant writing.
- Communications Co. facilitates communications among the PTA and parents and staff, including preparing monthly newsletters, email bulletins, and recruitment materials.
- Community Affairs Co. oversees PTA’s efforts to reach out to the community outside Q300, including our colocation partners P.S. 17 and I.S. 126.
- Budget Co. drafts the PTA budget and maintains the financial records.
- Enrichment Co. proposes, coordinates, and evaluates in-school/extracurricular enrichment.
- Audit Co. conducts an audit of all financial affairs of the PTA.
What happens at the PTA General Monthly Meeting and when is it held?
The PTA meetings include reports from the Q300 PTA President, the Principal, the School Leadership Team (the “SLT”), Q300 PTA Committees, and any other members of the Q300 community. For 2016-2017, the Board meetings are tentatively scheduled at 8:40 am on the first or second Thursday of the month and the General Membership meetings are tentatively scheduled at 6:30 pm on the third or fourth Thursday of the month.
What does the PTA fund?
Over the past three years, PTA contributions funded music programs for all; 1st and 6th grade sports programs; teachers’ wish lists; K teaching assistants; and other priorities. The Q300 PTA has paid for school wide music programs, 2nd grade architecture; and K and 1st grade teaching assistants. During the 2015-2016 school year, the PTA raised a total of $125,000.
For 2015-2016, the PTA priorities included funding K and 1st grade teaching assistants; dance and theater programs; and middle school laptops; and raising funds so that Q300 can hit the ground running in the Fall of 2017. We hope to raise $220,000 to allocate to the 2016-2017 school year priorities.
How does the PTA raise funds?
The PTA coordinates the Direct Appeal; a Spring Auction; online auctions; picture day; bake sales; box-top collection; and other programs. The Direct Appeal, which accounts for 80% of the monies received, raises money directly from Q300 families and friends.
Are donations to the PTA tax-deductible?
The PTA (EIN: 47-2258209) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Your charitable contribution is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.